What am I Doing Right Now?
Pop Quiz....
And, if you guessed "studying for physics final," then you win!!
O God. Because I was so uber sick during finals I had my Physics final deferred... to this Friday. Have I even TOUCHED my books since the last class? Um... no. I feel the hand of TEST DOOOOOOM squishing down on my head. So, clearly, the solution is to update my blog. /sigh
So you wanna hear a funny story? Ok.
Drive to school.
I went to pick up my Millenium Bursary cheque yesterday at school.
I was told that 771$ was still owing for my tuition and that my cheque be released when I paid.
Except that I do not have 771$ kicking around.
Student Accounts Lady: Could I borrow it from someone I know? Um... no.
O well I could go to my bank and get a counter cheque for the amount.
Drive to bank.
Bank lady#1: We don't do counter cheques anymore- too much fraud.
They could issue me a money order. Great!
Except that I do not have 771$ in my bank account.
Bank lady#1: We could give you a direct debit form for your school with your bank info.
Drive to school.
Student Accounts lady: We don't take direct debit forms.
O well, they gave me the cheque and confiscated my class schedule on condition that I return after the bank to pay up the tuition.
Drive to bank, GOVERNMENT ISSUED cheque in hand.
Bank guy: We can't cash this and release the funds to you.
Me:?????
Bank guy: It is issued by the CIBC so we can't guarantee that the funds are available.
Me: Bank Lady #1 said you'd just have to call my home branch to make sure there is no hold on the cheque... I've gotta pay my tuition today.
Bank guy: let me go call CIBC
Me: ...
Bank guy: Yea, you need to go to a CIBC branch to get this certified.
Me: But... it's a government issued cheque...???~!!!
Bank guy: Well it's pretty amazing what printers can do these days.
Me: &^$#@!#@$^&*&( fine. where's the closest CIBC?
Drive to Bank #2.
After a 20 minute line up at the CIBC...
Bank lady CIBC: You have to go to the CIBC downtown to get this certified. That's the bank from which the cheque was issued. I'm sorry, I can't help you with this.
Drive to Bank.
Bank lady #2: can I help you?
Me: I. Want. To. Talk. To. A. Manager. Now. Please.
Me to manager: I have been a customer at this bank for ten years. All I want to do is deposit this cheque, get a money order for 771$ and make sure there is no hold on the funds.
Bank lady #1: I know what this is about. I'm so sorry, I was on my lunch when you were here before. Let me call your home branch to make sure everything is alright.
Me: You are a nice bank lady. Bank guy sucks balls and his service is terrible. who gave this guy a job???? (well, this isn't really what was said, but you get the gist)
Bank lady #1: Here's your money order, there is no hold on your account, it's all good.
Interlude to cry in car.
Drive to school.
Student Accounts lady: is everything okay? You look a little stressed out.
Me: *quietly freaking out in my head* Oh, it's just been a bit of a process to get this done.
Student Accounts lady: It is overcomplicated. here's your receipt and your schedule.
Now, someone tell me please, WHY IS IT SO RIDICULOUSLY HARD TO GET FUNDING/GO TO SCHOOL??? After tuition and books I have 909 dollars left from my student loan. That's supposed to pay bills, pay rent and pay for food and transportation for the next 4 months? Who decides this shit? True, I am allowed to make 200$ a month... that'll cover the gas. -.- God Almighty. You'd think students were being punished. I think I heard that in some countries education is considered a good thing. AAAGH I think I need to commit a crime so I can go sit in prison and get a free education without all this headache. Sounds good about now.

3 Comments:
Way to keep a cool head Jenn. How frustrating! The bureaucrocy of banks combined with the red tape of schools equals frustration!
1:40 PM
THat supposedly 'anonymous' comment was from me...Keltie
7:28 PM
I am jabbing an imaginary stick in the eye of the bank @$#!$%!#-ole for you.
How frustrating.
9:36 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home