Friday, September 08, 2006

Welding, Wasps and Whatnot

I finally got to do my job shadow at work. Most of the crew I'm on chose to shadow the Wardens. While I AM interested in the work they do, I am MORE interested in what the Grounds, Utilities & Trades peeps get up to on a daily basis. So, I requested to stay in the Garage.

Well, what a fantastic day!! I got to help build a gate for one of our facilities from scratch! First P taught me to use a grinder to take the rust off the pieces of pipe to be welded together. Um... that was okay, but not so much fun. And, besides, it made my wrists tired.

Next, he said, "okay, now you're going to learn how to weld." Uh.. what?? No, I hadn't heard wrong, he really did teach me. I used a MIG welder to attach some brackets meant to stabilize the crosspieces and to which the wood will be attached. I sucked bad at first and P had to go back and correct them, but after a while I really got the hang of it and had a great time welding all the pieces while P took about 83 smoke breaks. :) I also heard quite a bit about the politics of the different sections here at work and learned that if you're changing one shock, or brake, you've gotta change the matching one too!

Apart from getting stung twice on my arm by a wasp who really wanted to eat my hair, it was an awesome day.

Louis update: he is kinda pissy because I won't let him outside for unsupervised playtime.

I went to my classes today. I gat a lot of work to do! :) For 2/5 classes I already have 4 exams, 2 essays and I have to participate in class. I am banking on at least 4 more essays and at least 5 more exams to complete the circuit. Oh and add to that any lab-related activities for physics. /cry I'm about to be a busy girl!!

This is my last shift at work for the summer season. It's stupidly busy in the campground and I am wishing that people would just stay home and let me surf the net in peace. ...I am partly kidding.... I am not nearly as sad to go as I was last year- I think it's because I have much to look forward to this fall/winter!! I am sure that the 8 months will fly by and I'll be back here bitching about campers before I know it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home